We don’t accept any further applications for this position.
When time and money are limited, how can we best use our resources to do as much good as possible? We approach this question using rationality and empirical science in order to identify and implement the most effective strategies to alleviate suffering. If you share this philosophy, then working at Effective Altruism Foundation will give you the opportunity to have a significant positive impact on the lives of many individuals.
We are currently looking for a CTO to improve our websites, security, and basically all IT aspects of our organisation. Join our fast-growing non-profit start-up at one of our offices in Berlin or Basel, and be part of an ambitious team with an open feedback culture! Our employees say they like working with us particularly because of the freedom and creative scope they are given. This is especially true for our CTO position.
- Web development: You will improve all our websites and develop new features for them on a continual basis. When new projects are launched, you will take the main development lead. If you like to talk to users, optimise their experience, test new ideas, and work in an agile way, this position is for you.
- Management of IT resources: Manage, supervise and integrate all our hardware and software solutions in order to leverage the productivity of the whole organization.
- Coordination of tech team: As our organization grows, more and more employees, freelancers and volunteers will work on its technological aspects. Take the main lead and make sure everything stays organized!
- Security: Protect our organization and our users from hackers, sniffers, and bad security practices inside our own team.
- Whatever most interests you: We’re still a small and flexible team – if there’s something non-technical that you’d enjoy working on, let us know!
Why work with us?
- You will be part of a team of intellectually curious, caring, and inspiring people.
- You will have the opportunity to develop a multitude of important new skills and to grow intellectually.
- You will get to do exciting, project-based work with challenging and diverse tasks, all whilst enjoying a lot of autonomy inside your area of responsibility.
- You will have a stimulating work environment in a beautiful office, with a variety of healthy snacks and beverages available at any time. Our private chef will even treat you to a free, delicious, and healthy vegan lunch every work day.
- Fast growth – most key metrics of our projects have grown exponentially over the past two years, and our team is expanding quickly.
- You will get to be part of our incredibly exciting sub-projects, including the world’s first anti-speciesist think tank (Sentience Politics), a high-impact fundraising network (Raising for Effective Giving), and a far-future ethics think-tank (Foundational Research Institute).
- Knowledge of analytics and A/B testing.
- Some product design skills (UX/talking to users/etc.)
- Thorough understanding of, and identification with, our philosophy.
- Strong personal interest in doing as much good as possible.
- Goal-oriented work, high reliability, diligence, productivity and dedication.
- Ability to work both independently and in groups, and to deal with complex problems.
- Plans to work with us for at least two years – we’re building a big organization, and we’d like to hire people who can run it in the future.
- Our offices are located in Berlin and Basel. Remote work might be possible, but we have a preference for people to work in our offices.
- Both full-time employment and and part-time are possible.
- Compensation is negotiable and depends on your needs, skills and experience.
- Application deadline is June 30, 2016. Please let us know if you need an urgent reply.
- Fill in the application form.
We look forward to hearing from you!