We support selected charities and projects from the effective altruism movement with quarterly grants. You can support those charities by making a donation to us and letting us know which recipient charity you’d like us to regrant it to using the form below.
Donations to support the Effective Altruism Foundation are tax deductible for donors in Germany, Switzerland, the USA (via bank transfer), and the Netherlands. Learn more here.
On this page, you can make a donation towards international EA organizations. For donations towards the Effective Altruism Foundation and its projects, please use this page.
You can find answers to frequently asked questions about donations as well as a point of contact in the FAQ. From the FAQ:
What does the donation process involve step by step?
- Registration: so that we can document your donations correctly internally, you can share your donation preferences with us through online registration. You can find the registration form for donations to EAF and its projects here, and for donations to international EA charities here. In order to keep administrative costs to a minimum, we ask you please to make individual contributions of at least ten Euros.
- Transfer: after successful registration you can select a payment method. On the website linked above, you can make your donation immediately, or on the same site you will find the relevant information for your payment method.
- Donation to external charities: if you choose to support an external charity, we will transfer your donation to them along with other contributions every quarter.
- Tax donation receipt: see the answer below.
When and how do I receive a tax donation receipt?
Annually in January, we will send you a general receipt for your donations over the preceding year, so long as you donated from one of the countries named above and your donations totalled at least 100 Euros. Donors from the USA will receive their tax exemption directly from GiveWell. For donations from Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands, you will receive an annual exemption from us via email, or by letter if we do not have an email address for you. Please fill in the relevant fields in the registration form.
What fees apply?
Donation processing is offered free of charge. Currently payments by credit card are subject to a small fee.
What EA organizations can I support with my donations?
You can support the following EA organizations:
- 80,000 Hours
- Against Malaria Foundation
- Animal Charity Evaluators
- Animal Equality
- Animal Ethics
- Center for Applied Rationality
- Centre for Effective Altruism
- Cool Earth
- Development Media International
- END Fund – deworming program
- Evidence Action – Deworm the World Initiative
- Evidence Action (unrestricted)
- Food Fortification Initiative
- Future of Humanity Institute
- GAIN – Universal Salt Iodization program
- GiveDirectly – main program
- GiveDirectly – Basic Income Project
- GiveWell for granting to recommended charities
- Great Ape Project
- Humane Slaughter Association
- Iodine Global Network
- Living Goods
- Machine Intelligence Research Institute
- Malaria Consortium – seasonal malaria chemoprevention program
- Mercy for Animals
- New Incentives
- Project Healthy Children
- Schistosomiasis Control Initiative
- Sightsavers – deworming program
- The Good Food Institute
- The Humane League
Please fill out the registration form on this page once for every organization you’d like to support.
For legal reasons, the board has to retain full discretion over how to use all donations they receive (EAS does not offer any fiduciary services). However, donors can assume safely that all their donations will be allocated according to their wishes.
If you support an external charity, or make a donation to us via an external charity, we will pass on your donation and contact details to that organisation. You can stop this information sharing at any time.