Information we collect
- When you donate through any of our donation pages, we ask you for your name, your email address, and your country of residence. The latter allows us to determine which tax exemptions might apply.
- If your donation is eligible for tax relief, we also ask you for your physical address, which is required by law to issue tax receipts in Switzerland, Germany, the Netherlands, the US, and the UK.
- If you apply for a position at EAF, we collect the usual application data (CV, links to social media, and your answers to our screening questions).
- If you apply for career or donation advice, we store any information you freely give to us.
- Any data you share with us when signing up for our events (EAGx conferences, local group meetups, etc.).
- Email communications when you contact us.
- We use Google Analytics to track website traffic and usage anonymously.
How we use your information
We exclusively use your information in ways you consent to, or to comply with legal requirements. In particular:
- We manually review every donation you make via EAF, matching incoming payments on our accounts with donor records on our system.
- We send you thank-you emails for your donations, and contact you via email if something is unclear or to establish a closer personal relationship with you.
- We issue annual tax receipts for Swiss, German, and Dutch taxpayers, for which we also need your physical address. Our partners in the US (GiveWell) and the UK (Effective Altruism UK) issue tax receipts in their corresponding countries.
- We evaluate the information you freely share with us to offer you personalized career or donation advice.
- We send updates via our newsletter if you signed up for it.
- We store your donation history and some email communications to have an up-to-date picture of our relationship with you.
How we share your information
We use various software tools to help us manage the data we collect, all of which have high standards of privacy and security.
When donating, you can opt-in to share your data with the charity of your choice. This allows the recipient charity to thank you personally, keep track of your donations, or, in the case of our donation partners, issue tax receipts. We use Metabase to allow charities to access their donor database. If you choose to share your donation data with the recipient charity, we will show them your name, email address, and country of residence. If not, we will mark these fields as anonymous and only list the date and amount of the donation. Data gathered before we introduced the opt-in feature will not be used for any purposes for which you did not consent.
Most recipient charities are based in the US and the UK, and we only share data with organizations who can demonstrably show they will use your data lawfully and can store it securely.
How we secure your information
Our Data Protection Officer (DPO) oversees the lawful use of any personal data collected by EAF. Our DPO is Kim Korte, who also serves as EAF’s Chief Technology Officer. You can contact him at email@example.com.
All third-party software tools we use comply with the guidelines specified by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Access to these tools is managed by our DPO, who assigns different restriction levels to every team member. All team members are required to attend at least one data protection workshop offered by our DPO to ensure that they handle your data lawfully and securely.
Cookies are small text-only files that are stored on your computer and that help identify you when you visit any of our sites. This makes visiting and using our sites easier, for instance, so that you do not have to re-enter information continually.
You have the right to control what data we store and how we use it. In particular, you can always contact us if:
- You would like to access, rectify or delete any data we may have about you.
- You would like us to stop processing your data in any of the ways described in this policy.
- You object to us using your data for a given purpose.
- You want to understand better how we use your data.
Feel free to contact us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We don’t expect or intend to collect information on children under 16. Children should get help from a parent or guardian before entering personal information into a website.