On this page, you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions about donations. If you can’t find the answer to your question here, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are deeply grateful for your support!
- 1. Which charities and projects can I support with my donations? How are these projects selected?
- 2. Which ways are there to donate?
- 3. What does the donation process involve step by step?
- 4. How can I register donations to multiple organizations?
- 5. Can my donations be set off against my taxes?
- 6. When and how do I receive a tax donation receipt?
- 7. Which fees apply?
- 8. Which activities do EAF undertake, and how do you spend donations?
- 9. When does EAF transfer my donation to the charity I select?
- 10. How do I know whether my donation has reached the charity I select?
- 11. How can I adjust or stop my regular monthly donation?
- 12. How can I change my personal details?
- 13. How does EAF use my personal details?
- 14. I have a question that isn’t on this list.
1. Which charities and projects can I support with my donations? How are these projects selected?
You can support the Effective Altruism Foundation (EAF) and its projects as well as international EA charities (see list below). To choose which charities to support, we use the insights of the independent charity evaluators GiveWell and Animal Charity Evaluators, the international effective altruism movement, as well as our own research.
You can support the following international EA charities via EAF:
- 80,000 Hours
- Against Malaria Foundation
- Animal Charity Evaluators
- Animal Ethics
- Centre for Effective Altruism
- Clean Air Task Force
- Deworm the World Initiative (Evidence Action)
- Effective Altruism Foundation and its projects (including Raising for Effective Giving)
- END Fund – deworming program
- Evidence Action (unrestricted)
- Future of Humanity Institute
- GiveDirectly – Main program
- GiveDirectly – Basic Income Project
- Helen Keller International – Vitamin A supplementation program
- Humane Slaughter Association
- Machine Intelligence Research Institute
- Malaria Consortium – Seasonal malaria chemoprevention program
- Mercy for Animals
- No Lean Season (Evidence Action)
- Rethink Charity
- Schistosomiasis Control Initiative
- Sightsavers – Deworming program
- The Good Food Institute
- The Humane League
2. Which ways are there to donate?
- You can support the charities and projects above either through a one-off donation or through a regular monthly donation. EAF offers this service free of charge. One-off donations should be at least €50, and monthly donations €20. If you want to donate smaller amounts, or if you don’t need a tax receipt for your donation, you can donate directly to the organization of your choice.
- You can support EAF either through unrestricted donations or through earmarked donations. Unrestricted donations allow us to undertake activities where we expect the greatest value, and where there is the most room for more funding. These donations are always used for EAF’s projects and operations. If you would like to support a particular EAF project, you can make an earmarked donation by selecting the specific project when donating. We currently recommend making unrestricted donations to EAF.
3. What does the donation process involve step by step?
- Registration: you should share your donation preferences with us through online registration in order for us to correctly allocate your donation. You can find the registration form for donations to EAF and its projects here, and for donations to international EA charities here.
- Transfer: after registering your donation, the website will display the different payment options. For small donations, we encourage you to pay by credit card or direct debit, since bank transfers require more effort to match.
- Donation to external charities: if you choose to support an external charity, we will transfer your donation to them along with other contributions semi-annually.
For tax purposes, we send donation receipts once a year. See the answer below.
4. How can I register donations to multiple organizations?
If you are donating via bank transfer, you can set up one transfer for the sum of your donations. Please copy all respective reference numbers into the transfer purpose field so we can correctly allocate your donation.
5. Can my donations be set off against my taxes?
As long as your donation is made to a corporation with tax-deductible status in your country, your donations can be claimed as tax-deductible. This is also true if the donation is granted out to another organization afterward. Currently, we can offer tax-deductible donations in the following countries: Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the US, and the UK. In the USA, GiveWell processes your donation and delivers it to EAF. In the United Kingdom, Effective Altruism UK receives your donation, claims Gift Aid on your behalf, and delivers the donation plus Gift Aid to EAF. In Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands EAF itself is directly exempt from taxes. You can find our tax exemption documents here.
6. When and how do I receive a tax donation receipt?
If applicable, you will receive a tax receipt by the organisation on whose accounts you have donated. For the countries mentioned above, these organisations are:
- DE: EAF, for donations before March 2017: Giordano-Bruno-Stiftung
- CH: EAF
- NL: EAF
- GB: Effective Altruism UK
- US: GiveWell
If you have questions about your tax receipt, you can contact the organisation in question directly.
The EAF sends a single receipt via email at the beginning of the year, which includes all your donations in the preceding year, as long as your donations totaled at least 100 euros and were made to EAF directly. We can only issue receipts if all fields in the registration form – including the address field – were filled out. Donation receipts are issued in the name of the account holder from which the donation is made. If you don’t get your receipt by February, contact us. Keep in mind that a donation is included in a given year if we receive the donation in that year, independently of when you make the transfer. Please keep this in mind for donations via bank transfer made in late December, since they could reach our accounts in January.
7. Which fees apply?
We do not charge any fees for processing your donations. However, some payment processors charge a small fee that is deducted from your donation:
- Bank transfer: typically free of charge, although your bank may charge for international transfers
- Direct debit: 1%, capped at 2 euros
- Credit card: 2-3%
- PayPal: 2.5% for CHF donations, 5.2% for other currencies
- Skrill: 3.3%
- Bitcoin: 1%
- Effective Altruism UK: 3% on the first 10,000.–, 1% on the next 90,000.–, and nil thereafter. No fees are charged on Gift Aid.
8. Which activities do EAF undertake, and how do you spend donations?
You can find detailed information about our activities and goals as well as our financial situation on our transparency site. EAF’s finances are checked annually by an independent auditor. EAF is also subject to the observation of the Confederate Foundation Advisory Body in Switzerland.
9. When does EAF transfer my donation to the charity I select?
EAF transfers contributions twice a year to external charities, typically in March and September. For legal reasons, EAF withholds the right to decide on the final use of the donations. In practice, however, we respect donors’ wishes and transfer the entirety of their donations to their selected organizations.
10. How do I know whether my donation has reached the charity I select?
We give the charity you select your contact details so that the organization can thank you directly. However, whether they choose to do so is up to them. If you’d like to contact the organization to inquire about your donation, please note that it can take up to 8 months to distribute a donation from our accounts, due to the semi-annual schedule of our regranting program.
11. How can I adjust or stop my regular monthly donation?
To change the allocation or amount of your monthly donation, please fill in the donation registration form again with your updated preferences. For donations via bank transfer, you can then adjust the standing order with the new reference number / purpose.
If you wish to cancel or change your monthly direct debit or credit card donation, please send us an email at email@example.com.
12. How can I change my personal details?
You can update your personal details when registering a new donation via our website. Alternatively, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. How does EAF use my personal details?
14. I have a question that isn’t on this list.
Please get in touch with us at email@example.com. We’ll do our best to answer within two working days.