On this page you’ll find answers to frequently asked questions on our donation process. If you can’t find the answer to your question here, you are welcome to email us at email@example.com. We are deeply grateful for your trust and engagement!
- Which charities and projects can I support with my donations? How are these projects selected?
- Which ways are there to donate?
- What does the donation process involve step by step?
- How can I register donations to multiple organizations?
- Can my donations be set off against my taxes?
- When and how do I receive a tax donation receipt?
- Which fees apply?
- Which activities do EAF undertake, and how do you spend donations?
- When does EAF transfer my donation to the charity I select?
- How do I know whether my donation has reached the charity I select?
- How can I adjust or stop my regular monthly donation?
- How can I change my personal details?
- How does EAF use my personal details?
- Where can I find bank account directions for donations?
- I have a question that isn’t on this list.
1. Which charities and projects can I support with my donations? How are these projects selected?
You can support EAF and its projects as well as international EA charities. To choose which charities to support, we use the insights of the independent charity evaluators GiveWell and Animal Charity Evaluators, the international effective altruism movement, as well as our own research.
2. Which ways are there to donate?
- You can support the charities and projects introduced above either through a one-off donation or through a regular monthly donation.
- You can support EAF either through unrestricted donations or through earmarked donations. Unrestricted donations allow us to undertake activities where we expect the greatest value, and where there is the most room for more funding. If you would like to support a particular EAF project though, you can make an earmarked donation.
3. What does the donation process involve step by step?
- Registration: you should share your donation preferences with us through online registration in order for us to correctly allocate your donation. You can find the registration form for donations to EAF and its projects here, and for donations to international EA charities here. In order to keep administrative costs to a minimum, we ask you please to make individual contributions of at least ten Euros.
- Transfer: after successful registration you can select a payment method. On the website linked above, you can make your donation immediately, or on the same site you will find the relevant information for your payment method.
- Donation to external charities: if you choose to support an external charity, we will transfer your donation to them along with other contributions semi-annually.
- Tax donation receipt: see the answer below.
4. How can I register donations to multiple organizations?
5. Can my donations be set off against my taxes?
As long as your donation is made to a corporation which holds tax-deductible status in your country, your donations can be claimed as tax-deductible. This is also true if the donation is granted out to another organisation afterwards. Currently we can offer tax-deductible donations in the following countries: Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the USA. In the USA, GiveWell processes your donation and delivers it to EAF. In the United Kingdom, Effective Altruism UK receives your donation, claims Gift Aid on your behalf, and delivers the donation plus Gift Aid to EAF. In Germany, Switzerland (see confirmation of tax exemption and deductibility list (Spendenliste)) and the Netherlands EAF itself is directly exempt from taxes.
6. When and how do I receive a tax donation receipt?
Annually in January, we will send you a general receipt for your donations over the preceding year, so long as you donated from one of the countries named above and your donations totalled at least 100 Euros. Donors from the USA will receive their tax exemption directly from GiveWell. For donations from Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands, you will receive an annual exemption from us via email, or by letter if we do not have an email address for you. Please fill in the relevant fields in the registration form. We’ll issue donation receipts on the name of the holder of the account from which the donation is made.
7. Which fees apply?
We do not take fees. However, some payment processors charge a small fee which is deducted from your donation:
- Bank transfer: typically free of charge, although your bank may charge for international transfers
- Direct debit: 1%, capped at 2 Euros
- Credit card: 2-3%
- PayPal: 2.5% for CHF donations, 5.2% for other currencies
- Skrill: 3.3%
- Effective Altruism UK: 3% on the first 10,000, 1% on the next 90,000, and nil thereafter. No fees are charged on Gift Aid.
8. Which activities do EAF undertake, and how do you spend donations?
You can find detailed information about our activities and goals as well as our financial position on our transparency site. EAF’s finances are checked annually by an independent auditor. EAF is also subject to the observation of the Confederate Foundation Advisory Body in Switzerland. Sign up to our newsletter (currently in German only) and follow the activities of the Effective Altruism Foundation on social media via Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
9. When does EAF transfer my donation to the charity I select?
EAF transfers contributions semi-annually to external charities. EAF is bound for legal reasons to withhold the right to decide on the final use of the donations. In practice however donors can assume that their complete donations will go to their selected organisations.
10. How do I know whether my donation has reached the charity I select?
We give the charity you select your contact details, so that the organisation can thank you directly. This is however the responsibility of the charity itself.
11. How can I adjust or stop my regular monthly donation?
To change the allocation or amount of your monthly donation, please fill in the donation registration form again with your updated preferences. If you wish to cancel your monthly direct debit or credit card donation, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For donations via bank transfer no notice is necessary, as you can simply adjust the standing order yourself.
12. How can I change my personal details?
Please send us an email at email@example.com.
13. How does EAF use my personal details?
EAF collects personal details which are necessary to the donation process. For instance we need your contact details (email or postal address) to send an annual tax exemption. We handle your personal details as strictly confidential. If you support an external charity, or make a donation to us via an external charity, we will pass on your donation and contact details to that organisation. You can stop this information sharing at any time by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. Where can I find bank account directions for donations?
You can find bank account information here.
15. I have a question that isn’t on this list.
Please get in touch with us at email@example.com.